View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Insurance Claim - How should I proceed?

A while back the Prius was backed into by a Jeep while parked. My wife was in the driver's seat, parked, along with 3 passengers. I was not present.

According to her, the Jeep reversed rapidly for 30 ft until he collided with the car. The other party's insurance has accepted 100% liability.

The damage to the bumper is very straight forward and easily repaired, but the real problem is that the car developed a massive interior water leak immediately after the accident. Whenever it rains, water runs down the passenger side firewall / footwell.

This car has a reconstructed title due to previous front end damage that was repaired. I'm guessing the leak wouldn't have happened from this minor accident if it wasn't for the previous wreck causing it to be weakened.

Next week I take the car in to get an estimate from a shop State Farm (other party's insurance) has a partnership with. I'm certain they will try to deny responsibility for the water leak. What's worse is that the carpeting and probably a fender would have to be removed to locate the source of the leak. The shop isn't going to want to do this, especially just to come up with an estimate.

Previously, I got 2 independent estimates, but neither one wanted to spend the time to investigate the water leak, and both said they didn't think the accident would cause it.

The way I see it, the at fault party is responsible to restore the car to pre-loss condition, which was leak-free, regardless of the fact that previous damage made it more prone to have issues.

How should I proceed? State Farm will issue me a check in the amount of their estimate, and if the cost to repair exceeds that amount, they will cut another check for the difference, provided the repairs are necessary to cover the damage from that accident. How would I prove that? All I have is my testimony that there was no leak before the accident, and photos from later that day showing water pooling in the interior.

Mostly this thread is just about me ranting to let off some frustration. Insurance companies are all a bunch of shysters, and I'm not looking forward to all the yelling, phone calls, and time spent on this. My time and sanity are valuable, and there is no compensation offered for the loss of it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-03-2017 at 05:53 PM..