View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
ksa8907
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've had a similar experience. A guy rear-ended my 1996 Subaru Legacy on my birthday and totalled it. I spent the next 3 months arguing with his insurance on the payout amount. They offered $2,000, but there were no mechanically good examples of that car for that price. I finally settled at $4,000. I then replaced the car with a $17,000 TSX, which still seems like a lot of money to spend on a car.

In high school I drove a beautiful red 1969 Beetle. I raced it everywhere like a go-cart, and even rolled it once. I could fill the gas tank, hand the attendant $10, and get a couple bucks back. Those were fun times, but having to do frequent valve adjustments is annoying. Getting exhaust in the cabin whenever the heater is used was also annoying.

Anyhow, I'm loving my plug-in Prius. So far it's gone everywhere I want to go, handles emergency maneuvers well (stability control), gets phenomenal fuel economy, and has enormous utility.

Hmm, I'm not sure about using deception to achieve justice. This has me re-evaluating my philosophy.
Let me clarify, I don't think you should pretend to have whiplash and make a big scene. But if they are going to be unreasonable and difficult to deal with, mentioning that your wife (who just may have a little neck pain, who knows?) would prefer to have a medical examination to determine if it is serious and/or related.

The at-fault insurance will start a medical claim and likely offer you several hundred dollars to sign a form saying they are no longer liable, it's their standard procedure.

My point is, they will have MUCH more reason to play ball and keep you happy if they are at increased risk of litigation. I mean hell, they're an insurance company, they are in the business of risk mitigation.

Last edited by ksa8907; 03-07-2017 at 09:23 PM..