View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Error in my GRE study guide?

It is Xistday in two weeks and I promised myself I would take the GRE on my birthday, but I am not sure I can get ready in-time. I bought the highly-respected eight-volume Manhattan Prep series and got stuck in the third book a while ago. I started over with my girlfriend, who is about to graduate in my major. Somehow we have spent more time watching "Timeless" on Hulu than studying, but we completed most of a chapter tonight, until we got to:

This seemed perfectly clear to me, but the book said:

Quote:
The powers of 2 [wait, what?] have a repeating pattern of four terms for their units digits: [2, 4, 8, 6]. That means that [for] every fourth term, the pattern repeats. For instance, the 5th term has the same units as the 1st term, because 5 - 1 = 4. So terms that are four terms apart, or multiple of 4 terms apart, will have the same units digit.
The 34th term and the 26th term are 34 - 26 = 8 terms apart. Because 8 is a multiple of 4, the terms will have the same units digit. The two quantities are equal. Incidentally, the units digit of and is 3.
I do not understand how 2n - 1 apparently means . Did I somehow misunderstand this, or is there an error?

Thank you very much for your time! Please enjoy your day!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manhattan error.png
Views:	188
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	21358  
Attached Images