View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
DieselJan
Less waste = better FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Energy, all energy be it electricity, mechanical spring, chemical and so forth shall follow the path of least resistance.

You are attempting to press your spring against nothing, the air in the cylinder will not push the spring more than the camshaft connected to the transmission, connected to the wheels (the path to applying power to the road).

I think your explanation of delaying or flattening out the peak power as a safety feature for breaking conrods was not your original goal, but a nice try at a save on your part.
Hi Cach22i

If combustion pressure gets very high, the pressure will not break the conrod trying to turn the engine much faster than it currently is turning. The very high combustion peak pressure will push down on the piston, and the crankshaft will resist it as the engine can't accelerate as fast, so the spring will compress. The spring is not pressing against nothing. Maybe my drawing is a bit unclear.

Go check point 4 in the first post. It wasn't a nice try at a save.

Thanks for all the external links to springs. I confirms what I thought about springs that they don't loose much energy. Also the harmonic oscillations of the spring will be perfect for what is needed.

Your vehicle suspension is some sort of spring system with dampers(shocks) to absorb the harmonic oscillations. I will definitely be keeping mine even if it is stone age technology.

To everyone else:
I am not very interested in different technology engines. Please comment on why this concept won't work or why it could and what can improve. If there is something similar or very relevant please let us know.