View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Soon to own an Insight!

I went this past weekend to check out a 2000 Honda Insight I found on Craigslist. It was my first time being up close to one, so I was (beyond) very excited! Here is what I went to look at:

Hmmm.... looks oddly familiar...

Haha!

I wish I could have got y'all some video of my first time driving, but I didn't think of it till after the fact. Sorry guys

Overall, the car is in good condition, both mechanically and aesthetically. It has that 1-2 gear grind at times, and the IMA system is not working. That isn't a problem for me, and I'll soon have it back up and running to help out my city mpg. The battery was replaced within the past couple years (don't remember exactly when the owner said). It has the 165/65/14 Re92's at around half tread

My first impressions driving one: Wow. I was bubbling with excitement and my expectations were high, and the Insight didn't disappoint! He let it idle for 5-10 minutes to let me watch and listen to the idle. The mpgs on the screen feel from 55 to 43 in this time. I took it out on some back roads before hitting the highway. I wasn't exactly prepared for the length of the gears combined with a 3-cylinder's low torque, but all went well! It is a D-O-G after 2nd gear and if you're under 2000 rpm. It coast very well for it's lightness. I was able to keep the FCD over 75 mpg cruising 51-52 in a 45 zone. I'm not sure if lean burn was active, it didn't feel like it compared to when I went into lean burn in the ZX2.

I was sold!!!

As of now, I'm in the process of getting the money together, finding out insurance and DMV cost. Within the next week or so, I will officially have me a new-to-me Insight

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-20-2017), Daschicken (03-19-2017), Ecky (03-20-2017), pgfpro (03-19-2017), Xist (03-25-2017)