View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I thought it was due to fewer oxygen molecules in the thinner air, so that the engine needed to inject less fuel for any given scenario, with the downside of less available horsepower at full throttle.
This is what I want to test. Nobody knows for certain why warm-air and hot-air intakes work. As you do now, I once thought this explanation was why WAIs work, but...

A few weeks back, I had noticed that I was getting insanely high trip economies (31 MPG for a 20 mile trip at an average speed of 45 MPH ?) and I also noticed that temperatures were a bit warmer (one day, it was actually 70 F) at the same time. So, I began thinking that maybe the gasoline being injected was being heated past the point where it would start to vaporize for cold-weather formulations, and that might could explain my higher-than-normal fuel economy.

So, this steam idea is my way of testing why a WAI works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
For it to be accurate you need microcontroller based injection with a fuel injector or pwm'd pump.
This is the route I intend to travel. I am looking at Aquamist's solenoid valve - it's supposed to be operational up to about 250 Hz, or so. Pricy little devil, though.

Quote:
Also if you want to inject hot water that instantly vaporizes, it has to be 540 (sic) degs C or so.
I am only going to be using this system during part-throttle conditions, where the intake manifold has a vacuum. That being said, I don't need to heat the water to 100 C for it to vaporize. I am looking to heat the water to about 90 C, instead. For part-throttle conditions, this should be sufficient.

The process of evaporation will cool off the water droplets as they evaporate, which would normally limit the amount of water mist that actually turns into vapor. This is why heating the air is also necessary - the air will provide extra heat energy to allow the formation of more water vapor.

https://www.ohio.edu/mechanical/ther..._TempSat1.html

Quote:
Mayve an exhaust heated hotplate that instantly vaporizes the water injected on to it.
Hm... Maybe. Would like to place the water injectors as close to the intake ports as possible, though.

Also going to be using a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger. Engine coolant goes in one loop, and it will heat up the water-ethanol mix in the other loop.