View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #117 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
So i finally got some time to get the front springs cut up. I cut one full coil off the top and its still a touch tall up front. I was hoping a hard drive down some gravel road would settle it down some as the spring is progressive and doesnt sit in the top cup very well.

Anyways. Its maybe a thumbnail width measured off my jeans pocket taller up front. It definitely sits more level, and rides more balanced with the stiff rear (front end was like a '74 cadillac with no shocks). And also confirmed that the left front shock is worn out. Bump is gone and rebound still works, no gas pressure. The right was good and The rears were equally ok. So ill be slapping on some new shocks soon.

So i am kicking myself for not measuring before and after. The rear was fairly obvious as the block was 4.5" or 4.75". The front i would say dropped down maybe an inch.

Im hesitant to cut any more off the coils. Maybe start with a quarter off the bottom and go from there. Luckilly the spring doesnt have to sit in there any special way.

And to anybody else wanting to cut a spring. Dont try using a portaband. A grinder works way better. I also used a pressurized bottle with water to keep things cool as i cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	21391  

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles

The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkeysmall For This Useful Post:
101Volts (04-30-2017)