View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
kach22i
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Template side view that kach22i has a front view as well. It's half-circular and flat on the bottom. The curved underbody you've shown is more similar to a Luigi Colani design based on the shape of a water strider.

Side bar discussion on Luigi Colani design:
When I have gone rear wheel drive in my design studies, be it 3 or 4 wheels, I find the area taken up by the engine/transmission and or rear differential/axle combined with the suspension components leaves only narrow slots for possible sweeping up of air - like narrow tunnels. I do a lot of sections and cross sections by hand on graph paper to scale (old school).

These air slot tunnels are the resultant without going into elaborate and exotic designs using the front fork suspension of a motorcycle at the rear wheel (yes on light weight 4-wheel designs) or electric hub drive systems, or teardrop shaped struts as on race cars.

Drive shafts connected to electric motors are more versatile, but could be limited in HP by the angle of the U-Joints and other design demands. These unknowns for the non-engineer and someone interested in aerodynamics is why many default to established platforms and concentrate on the vehicle's skin. This unfortunately leaves good food on the table uneaten.

Going back to the original design posted: which could in fact have narrowly spaced twin rear wheels or one single rear wheel, it is my understanding that all three tire contact points should have equal weight on them.

I believe this is one reason why Freebeard said he favors front wheel drive on a reverse trike, the weight balance.

If you add two 150 lb passengers to the rear seats that is 300 lbs more on the rear axle. Assuming the front passengers and driver are midway of the wheelbase as they usually are, you may only have issues when fully loaded. However they could be serious issues, well anything in a moving vehicle can become serious, this is serious stuff.

There are a few good websites discussing the handling of reverse trikes, I have them bookmarked somewhere - just Google them yourself.

In general best to go longer with your wheelbase than too short when in doubt. From what I can see casually looking, you are within the safety zone of operation with your design - roughly speaking if all else is balanced right.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-25-2017), Xist (03-27-2017)