View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
teoman
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Simon,

I do believe that i was not able to describe my (so far theoretical setup properly). English is not my mother tongue so that may be the cause of the problem.

- I have a copper pipe wrapped around the exhaust which heats up.
- I have an injector on one side, the injector is never heated and it has a heat-break (silicone tubing) to prevent that.
- The other side of the copper pipe is connected to the intake by hose (after MAF).

The injector shoots the water out which arrives at the pipe. As it evaporates, it expands. But it cannot escape by the route which it came from, it is blocked by the injector. So the only way to go is travel the copper pipe, then the hose in to the manifold.

My objective going this route, is to be able to control the intake air temperature precisely, keep it at an exact temperature range, instead of relying on it to suck up some unknown air temperature near the exhaust manifold.

In all of my calculations, i assumed that the steam dumps ALL of its phase change energy to the air, raising the air temperature. The steam itself condenses in to very fine water droplets.

Come to think of it, if this does not happen, it means that I have goofed up and the air is at 100deg C and cannot suck any more heat from the steam. The above paper shows that i start to get a BSFC penalty if I move away from the 80-90 deg C sweet spot.

But you and the others are right, i may have to do something to prevent water accumulation in the system. Shutting it down several minutes before i reach my destination to let the air dry the water or increase the insulation or some such mechanism.

Last edited by teoman; 03-21-2017 at 05:53 PM..