View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Hello thingstodo,

Quote:
Paul's AC Controller already does a good deal of what is described - vector mode control of AC induction motors, control of BLDC.

The V/F or volts/herz controller is much simpler and can run without an encoder, resolver, etc. It is less efficient. But it will run multiple motors in parallel from a single controller. I have more to investigate about doing 4WD in V/F and how much the wheels will slip - the question being whether the front wheels can pull but still spin at different speeds for corners.
IIRC, you'll get different slip in the motors at different corners as they travel at different speeds around a turn. Might have more torque on the inside wheel in a turn, though, if torque goes up with slip. Should be enough differentiation for corners, but might act like a clutch-type posi or mechanical locker when accelerating/decelerating. Odd handling on slick surfaces.

Quote:
I think this BAS alternator/generator is a good fit. I have one of Paul's AC controllers (serial #2 I think) and I'd like to try it. The firmware may need to be changed if I find something that won't work.

As always, the connection between the motor and the wheel is my problem. I'm not good at mechanical things. You'd think I'd be able to get a belt drive working .. perhaps with a very simple tensioner that let the belt slip if there was too much load?
It's got a 7-rib serpentine belt pulley bolted onto it already. Given the RPM figures I listed, you'll want a 4:1 or better reduction ratio depending on the revs/mile of your tire and desired top speed. Describe your desired layout and I can help with figuring out how to hook it up mechanically. You don't want the belt to slip - you want the tires to do that. GM uses an aramid-fiber core *fan belt* to transmit this power without slipping - shouldn't be that hard to rig something up.

Quote:
I will call my local wrecker this afternoon. Perhaps they have one of these E-assist motors available nearby. If I could pick one up Monday that would be AWESOME.
Good luck!