View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
Hello thingstodo,
Hi

Quote:
IIRC, you'll get different slip in the motors at different corners as they travel at different speeds around a turn. Might have more torque on the inside wheel in a turn, though, if torque goes up with slip. Should be enough differentiation for corners, but might act like a clutch-type posi or mechanical locker when accelerating/decelerating. Odd handling on slick surfaces.
The inside wheel should have more torque, since it has more slip. Breakdown torque on an induction motor is 3.5 - 4 times rated torque ... but each motor seems to have it's own base speed. We have ACIM on all of our equipment (at work) and changing out a motor DOES change the speed that the motor runs when lightly loaded. Loaded - it's only a few rpm.

But if the inner wheel is pulling hard the outer wheel should be OK going along for the ride?

Quote:
It's got a 7-rib serpentine belt pulley bolted onto it already. Given the RPM figures I listed, you'll want a 4:1 or better reduction ratio depending on the revs/mile of your tire and desired top speed. Describe your desired layout and I can help with figuring out how to hook it up mechanically.
My existing/planned setup is only RWD. A warp9 DC motor coupled to a 2002 Honda civic gearbox ... and obviously a DC Controller. I am planning to use it as a Side by side Quad/offroad buggy. Top end or redline (5500 motor rpm) in second gear would be in the 50 mph/80 kph range.

Going to 4 of these motors, one per wheel, driven by one AC controller and battery pack would be great for traction and control. The tires on it give about 1000 revs per mile. 1000 rpm on the wheels = 60 mph. So if I went for .. 20 mph? .. that's 333 rpm. And if I limited to 3000 motor rpm ... I could go as high as 9:1. I have read elsewhere that anything more than 3:1 would require 2 stages, which complicates things.

Belt slip may be bad. I am thinking $10 belts and single drive pulleys. I guess I am assuming that the belt tensioner would let the belts slip if you go over the rated torque? Maybe that's a bad assumption.

Quote:
You don't want the belt to slip - you want the tires to do that. GM uses an aramid-fiber core *fan belt* to transmit this power without slipping - shouldn't be that hard to rig something up.
Sounds expensive. Maybe I should look around for a spare belt?