View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
cts_casemod
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
It seems your main concern is that it can't go more than 20mph in Arizona, or else it has to be classified as a moped, and needs licensing. No power rating, other than if it's gas-powered, it has to be limited to 48cc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...e_laws#Arizona

If it's anything like around here, a new electric bike will cost you as much as a half decent 10-year old car. On the other hand, you can pick up a used one with dead batteries for a couple of hundred, and throw in new batteries for another couple of hundred, and you're off to the races. Or a grand if you go lithium.

I'd think finding a 500w+ one wouldn't be too difficult.

OTOH, if you don't care about burning gasoline, you could probably get a used (or even new) "moped"/scooter for less. Get thr right one and you'd still get 100mpg.
I was pondering this one:

There is a similar version with front suspension and 6 gears but that adds another $300.

It seems I get a whole lot better in terms of suspension with the kids bikes and 24V means I can take my 10A, 10C rated cells.

How are roads over there, generally? Here in England trying to ride on the side of the road to let the cars go, there's a huge number of holes and patches that makes rides very uncomfortable without full suspension...

Another one I would like is this one, but unsure about legal issues due to not having pedals.

Last edited by cts_casemod; 03-27-2017 at 10:13 PM..