View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #119 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
I can't believe i forgot to mention i do have a motorcycle. Since its been warming up i got it registered again.

Took the topper off to load the bike in the back and struggled to get more than 9mpg empty and 8 with the bikes windshield poking a foot or so above the roof. The aerotopper makes a massive difference for sure.

So anyway. Removing the topper was a pain. Getting it back on was no picnic either. So, i have officially begun designing a more "user friendly" topper. At least in my head again. Im debating a tightly strung vinyl or fabric over an easily removed frame. Or the full shell out of aluminum with car hood hinges. Im diggin the shell for rigidity, and being able to handle the welder and its heat. Of which im wanting to run the exhaust down and into its own cat and muffler and dump under the truck. Ya its nice to hear when its revved up to weld out in the field, but right next to it is borderline unbearable. And would make for a cleaner exterior when the shell is closed. And obviously the shell would have to open up enough to allow good airflow to cool the welder. Ive had thoughts of tieing the welder and trucks cooling system together. Would help warm up the welder on the way to work and keep the trucks engine warm for a more efficient startup. Obviously everything would be trough thermostats. And im allready planning electric fans on the truck. I got 2 12" fans for cheap along time ago, and theyre not enough for this truck. Perhaps get one or two more and run them on individually set thermostats. So when mild cooling is required one comes on, and if thats not enough the rest will spool up.

Just some thoughts.

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles