View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #148 (permalink)
dancam
EcoModding Lurker

I clicked to get email notifications but didnt recieve any, i thought no one had replied yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thanks for asking, now. Slather a thin layer of aerodynamics over a brick? You're looking at the techniques applied to commercial big rigs.

One thing not included above — and possibly you best bet — is plasma actuators.

I did ask before i started. Based on the comment on the thread i started and what i saw elsewhere here i decided to go to a trailer building forum instead at the time. I have towed a lot but never built a trailer and needed to see a lot of other peoples builds and get help from trailer builders.
This thread here looked like it was about making bricks aerodynamic to me, so i asked.

Plasma actuators. Never heard of that before today, looks like a good idea but quite new. Thanks!
I just realized i need to keep my attention focused on finishing up my tow vehicle. It should be done in 5-6 weeks and then ill be looking into plasma actuators and everything else i need to to finish this trailer and make it as easy to pull as i can while still being functional/cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Looking good. How about just tapering that rear overhang? I see wheel pants off airplanes on ebay, they might fit those little trailer tires you would think the average expensive airplane with almost any damage to the skirts would about give the wrecked ones away. Airplane people seem to want everything perfect or its worthless to them.
I still want to redo the top on my Hi-lo but because of braces, home repairs, a new puppy, etc I probably need to sell it and my motorcycle to pay down some debt.
I'll try and convince myself I can just do better starting from scratch like you are doing.
I had wanted to taper the rear overhang like they do on semi trailers, thats where the idea came from. But as i was building i realized it wasnt practical. Thats an area to put your shoes on/do things while its raining and stay dry. When the trailer is down its already ackward to get in there without it tapered.
Also with my build materiels it wouldnt have been very strong.
Thanks for the fender idea! I was going to try and convince a sheet metal guy i barely know to make me some in that style, but hadnt thought of just buying them.