View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Turbo VVVVVRRRROOMMM (or not, I like my MPG).

This thread is about turbocharging my Insight, I forgot to put it in the title.

I had initially planned to supercharge with an AMR500 but, there was some added complexity that made the project not worth it.

Anyway, I have been slowly accumulating parts over the past 6-8 months and I finally purchased the last piece, the turbo, for super cheap from a friend.

My goal is to run 10psi out of a RHB31/VZ21 turbocharger. It's perfect size for the insight, will produce 10lbs by 1750rpm and can put out about 105hp at its absolute limit.

I have a AEM FI/C-6 with a custom Boomslang Harness that will be controlling Toyota camry injectors (255cc vs 145 stock) to keep me from running lean, or stressing the stock ones over 80% duty cycle. The injectors are the exact physical size as OEM Insight ones and are plug and play to the OEM harness. It will also allow me to fool the stock O2 sensor and MAP sensor so the stock ECU isn't fighting me to control fuel under boost, but runs normally under non-boost conditions.

I chose now to make this thread as I wasn't fully sure when I was going to start on this project, but yesterday I benched the insight due to the ISB getting so bad I can't even hear myself think while driving, so while I pull that and await a new one from Scott, I'm going to start fabricating and mounting everything.

Things done so far:
Installed AEM UEGO gauge(Air/fuel ratio).
Installed Boost gauge.
Drilled intake manifold and installed barbs for vacuum line for Boost gauge/AEM F/IC-6.
Routed all vacuum lines.
Installed F/IC-6.
Hooked up AFR gauge to the AEM F/IC-6.

Things left to do.

Move battery to the rear.
Remove stock intake/upper exhaust.
Scavenge flanges from old upper cat.
Install T fitting on oil pressure sender.
Fabricate oil feed line.
Fabricate manifold to turbo piping and turbo downpipe.
Remove oil pan and drill/tap it for oil return.
Fabricate intake charge piping and mount for intercooler.
Install AIT sensor.
Install spark plugs (have 2 heat ranges colder plugs).
Lots and lots of tuning.

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 04-16-2017 at 07:30 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (04-11-2017), roflwaffle (04-16-2017)