View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,573 Times in 7,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviolet10
The main issue I see people having is to much of an angle so I'm going for a modest slope to a 12.5deg angle at the tailgate.
Welcome to Ecomodder, it sounds like you'll fit right in.

Those people you refer to all started with the minimal (safe from separation) angle of 12.5° and then went searching for a maximum (w/o separation).

kach22i's innovation is to reduce the weight, cost and complexity of a full canopy to that of a full tonneau and half a boogie board. This has attracted attention for two people who invested their own time and energy in documenting the performance in CFD. I say

You might start that thread before the build. A lot of people start a thread with something like "Here's my brick with edges as sharp as a Lego, now how do I slather aerodynamics all over it?" You could avoid that.

You have a single two-dimensional line, where do you go from there? What materials?

What I'm liking lately is wakeboard control arms.

These range 5-8ft, I eventually bought most of them. They are very light tempered aluminum. The 5-footers might serve for a rear edge, with the 8-footers longitudinal. I paid (maybe) $10-15 each. Here I'm considering a boat tail on my Superbeetle:

Also, considering what you do with that single curve, here's a pickup canopy on the only pickup I had laying around in 3D. It presents additional frontal area at the front to absorb any turbulence or incipient vortexes coming off the cab and maximize interior volume. Not a good fit to the cab, though.

The solution to that is squircular; but I'm going to give kach22i back his thread now.