View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Hello, and subscribed!
Question: do you think cleaning the grounds helped, or was it mostly spark plugs?
I'm going to say they were both about equally important. She was driveable again after adjusting the plugs, back to about what she was always like for me before. She always felt a bit like she was carburated...you know, gutless...until you get the rpms up a bit. I always blamed the aftermarket header, assuming it was hindering things at low rpm.

I was wrong, as I discovered on my drive to work yesterday. And, more noticeably, on the drive home, in the cool wee hours of the morning. Which I assumed was the problem...not the fact that I would have the electrical system loaded up at night, even though you could feel an added vibration when stopped at a light with everything turned on and the indicator blinking. The vibration came every time the indicator would blink on. I was aware of this and meant to clean those darned grounds, but never did, because the next day I'd go for a drive - no lights on - and she would be fine and dandy.

Anyway. They're both important. And I'm an idiot for not cleaning those ground connections years ago. Anyone with an older car should go clean theirs ASAP. If you want a happy, healthy engine, anyway.

I'm looking forward to getting through the old gas and seeing what kind of gas mileage she'll get now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (04-12-2017)