View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn2220 View Post
2) Must be able to carry 1000lb or more. As with the towing capacity, this will mean big honkin’ tires with high load ratings. That’s a rolling resistance and aerodynamic compromise, but it’s necessary.
3) Must keep the ability to carry 4x8s flat in the back, preferably 4x10s.
4) Doors must be able to open fully (about 90 degrees) to allow backing up to loading docks, forklift dumps into the bed, etc.
6) Without a doubt the handling must improve, right now it’s like driving a 5000lb pig wallowing in mud.
7) Cannot use a trailer-based tail, it’s already so long that it’s tough to park.
I would think the stock spec tires would already be enough to handle 1000 lb payload, shouldn't they? The vans I worked on all had 80 PSI truck tires. A box cavity may work for you, super easy to make, super easy to remove, doesn't have to be long, and should work just fine by mounting it on the rear doors.

Quote:
13) Exhaust change to 3” from 2.25”, probably a cat-back setup.
14) Stiffer rear springs and/or helper springs to improve load carrying capacity
15) Rear partial shell taper, keeping in mind 90 degree door opening requirement
If you are going for low end torque, upping the exhaust size significantly is not the best decision. Stiffer rear springs may increase understeer, you will have to decide that for yourself after the sway bar installs.

Quote:
And yes, the van's nickname really is "Creepy White Van" or "Creeper Van." The van had some mold growing on the side when I bought it, and friend of mine was so kind as to write "FREE CANDY" on the side in 4 foot tall letters. I had to pressure wash them off...but the name stuck!
Loving the name already!

Check the wheel bearings and suspension components right away. Heavy vehicles like vans tend to kill wheel bearings. Your wallowing problem could be a shock/strut problem, they may be leaking or blown out. No anti-roll bars sounds fun . After you put new roll bars in you should assess the state of handling, if it is still unsatisfactory, then you should take further action.

These charts have been ever so useful for suspension tuning in Forza:

Understeer: How to recognise and control understeer
Oversteer: Oversteer - what is it, and how to control it

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...