View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #245 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Now that its getting warmer out I'm looking to address my bucking / surging issue again. The warmer weather has definitely helped smooth out the lean burn at the limit (yet still far from perfect). But, I'm still getting surging power during normal acceleration (not in lean burn). At this point, I'm thinking there must be some mechanical play in the timing system somewhere. Between all all the guys on IC who have replaced sensors, they have exhausted that idea. So, what are the chances of worn timing chain guides, or something like that? It would make sense as I get more power, less power, more power. It seems like its seeking.

I'd like to throw a OBDII logger on and see if the ignition timing is solid or jumpy. I imagine looking at the knock sensor output would also be a good idea. I'm hoping the OBDII will have enough resolution to even see this. Other factors / sensors to watch would be a welcome suggestion too. I know the coolant temp is solid as I watch that as a normal scangauge gauge.