View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
I just can't get the engine to run very well with air fuel ratios greater than 18:1 I get the air and fuel exploding in the intake manifold, kind of like a nitrous pop with out the nitrous. If I regear, run a lower cruise RPM and add more timing maybe it should work.
Last time it happened I was sure I blew the butter fly valves off the carb, then I assumed the engine ingested them and I thought I may have capped my self.

I'm not real worried about reducing the NOx because this is one of the windiest places in the nation and there is no smog. Lots of dust but no smog.
I just don't want to clog or melt down the converters, because they are $60 to $80 each and I will need 2 of them. If the price of platinum and palladium go up replacements could cost a lot more. That would mean driving around with the cutouts wide open till I could get it fixed.
I mainly want them so I can have a some what restrictive factory style exhaust that will:
reduce noise.
I believe a little back pressure will increase cruise fuel economy.
Eliminate CO because it's deadly.
Reduce HC because it stinks.

There actually is some CO and HC in a lean burn. About as much HC and CO if you are running 14.7:1 air fuel maybe even a little more.

That insite converter sounds like the gasoline version of a diesel catalyst. When it gets saturated with the undesirable NOx substance it has to make like a diesel and burn more fuel to get rid of it.
I'm kind of against burning more fuel for slightly cleaner emissions.

I know I had read some where the factory lean burn cars had different converters but I didn't know what made them different.

Do we know if any one has had problems putting a normal converter on a lean burn car?
I'm assuming the correct lean burn converter is expensive so this likely has happened at some point?

Do we know if anyone has figured out how much fuel the factory NOx regen burns?

Last edited by oil pan 4; 04-19-2017 at 12:19 PM..