View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Isoldmysaturn:(
EcoModding Lurker

I have 235/55/20s right now, about as tall as I want to go, as I imagine they're already pretty heavy. the tires are well regarded, and low rolling resistance michellins, so changing tires on a brand new car to get taller tires (and paying for an ECU reflash) isn't practical for me. it would also complicate the already not easy task of finding 17 or 18 inch rimmed winter tires. the width of the tires is well matched to the width of the rims.

the grille is the denali design

can't post an image, yet

which has some built in blocking at the grill due to the design, but for it's massive size, only 24x7 of that is actual radiator real estate, and the only blocking they did at the factory is 3-4 inches behind the grill. the lower grill is blocked to the size of the radiator, and I'm leaving it alone except maybe for winter.

I'm considering spray on vinyl wrapping the grill, otherwise with the chrome I don't know how I could attach the block and have it look even remotely good.

I've seen that picture, and finally climbed under this monster today, and between the V6, dual(ish) exhaust, and AWD gear, there isn't much area that isn't hot or moving. if I had the equipment and money, a nice sheet of aluminum could make it as smooth as the bottom of my Saturn, or the new cruzes, but in coroplast, I think my options are limited to the 8 inches outside the frame members that run the length of the car.

So, given this info, I wonder if all this work is even worth it given how little area I can effect? Basically, from the 500 miles I've spent driving this thing so far, the best gains are achieved by keeping it in cylinder deactivaion and high gear, so my goal was to make this easier with less drag. luckily, it's geared pretty high, so revs stay low enough, I'm not worried about that.

And I'm so glad I didn't get the 4 cylinder, it can't tow (which I need), but we borrowed one the other day, and in stop and go, the transmission got up to 200 degrees, and because it doesn't get the tow package, you don't get a trans cooler, so it didn't cool down until many miles later at highway speed.