View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Merlyn2220
Deep Lurker

Creepy Van - '95 Ford E150 Cargo
90 day: 14.45 mpg (US)
Creepy White Van - E150 aerodynamics

I started a thread in the "Central" forum, but was getting no feedback on aero mods. So I've moved the aerodynamic portion of the thread here for suggestions/complaints/criticism (mostly criticism ). Here's the basic first post, then I'll follow up with current modifications as I go.

My hobbies are Ironman-distance triathlon, building old Mustangs and racing Miatas, I really needed a do-it-all car and a Fit just can't haul 4x8s, carry big blocks or tow a 5000lb trailer. Although a pickup might end up more aerodynamic with a proper tapered tonneau cover, it's just impractical in Floriduh where it rains nearly every day from April to October. I picked up the company's old 1995 E-150 with 31k miles but it has the worst FE engine/tranny combination of 300 I6 and 3spd C6.

Here's my current no-compromise list:

1) Must be able to tow 5000lb or more. This will require a large hitch hanging off the back, which is probably horrible for aerodynamics.
2) Must be able to carry 1000lb or more. As with the towing capacity, this will mean big honkin’ tires with high load ratings. That’s a rolling resistance and aerodynamic compromise, but it’s necessary.
3) Must keep the ability to carry 4x8s flat in the back, preferably 4x10s.
4) Doors must be able to open fully (about 90 degrees) to allow backing up to loading docks, forklift dumps into the bed, etc.
5) Must improve blind spot vision. Even with the stock 3-point towing mirrors you can fit a truck in the blind spot, not to mention a Miata, motorcycle or a bike.
6) Without a doubt the handling must improve, right now it’s like driving a 5000lb pig wallowing in mud.
7) Cannot use a trailer-based tail, it’s already so long that it’s tough to park.

Initial plans are for:
1) Replace the huge 3-point mirrors with later year stock paddle mirrors (with blind spot mirror) and possibly passenger side camera and small spot mirror.
2) Side skirts to fill the huge gaps.
3) Improved headlights and DRLs over the OEM 4x6” sealed beams.
4) Adding anti-roll bars to front and rear. The CG is relatively low in this van, but it came stock with no front or rear bars…yikes!
5) Replace stock 225/75/15 tires with higher load + larger diameter in back (lower cruising RPM) and wider/lower profile in front (better handling).
6) Full belly pan
7) Rear skirting around the hitch – possibly extending the bumper to smooth airflow
8) Front airdam
9) Remove FM antennas and use an internal glass-mount or whip antenna
10) Weight reduction (if possible) though it’s not a critical factor. It’s already over 5000lb, so a 100lb savings is only 2%
11) Electric fan replacement for hydraulic/viscous fan head
12) Eliminate bizarre air pump system for simplicity. If it eventually kills the cat I’ll just buy a new one for $65.
13) Exhaust change to 3” from 2.25”, probably a cat-back setup.
14) Stiffer rear springs and/or helper springs to improve load carrying capacity
15) Rear partial shell taper, keeping in mind 90 degree door opening requirement

And yes, the van's nickname really is "Creepy White Van" or "Creeper Van." The van had some mold growing on the side when I bought it, and friend of mine was so kind as to write "FREE CANDY" on the side in 4 foot tall letters. I had to pressure wash them off...but the name stuck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merlyn2220 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-29-2017), BamZipPow (04-27-2017)