View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #371 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The problem with doing that is what about when you have a really bad head wind?
I did a 380 miles round trip in the Leaf a few weeks ago. The was a lot of wind, up to 50mph gusts according to the weather report. The trip went ok. A down charging station in Parachute had us barely making it to our destination. Fortunately there's a charging station about every 15 miles between Grand Junction and Rifle otherwise. The worse parts of the trip might have been better with better planning. I found out that the shopping mall in GJ is closed after 6:00pm on Sundays and that it's a bad I idea to charge close to the mall with your wife after the mall is closed. Also if I had spent a night in Montrose instead of trying to climb up into Gunnison at midnight in freezing weather that would have been a bit more prudent.

As far as renting goes I'm renting my second rental today. However I see a monkey wrench getting thrown into this. Hertz, where I got a membership and get a AAA discount, is now only open from 9:00 to noon five days a week. Sunday and Monday it's closed. At least Avis and Budget are open until 1:00 seven days a week. I think in the future I'm going to try to trade cars with friends or family members and offer them the rental money, or at least part of it. I wonder if there's some sort of insurance I can get that covers other people's cars.

Last edited by Isaac Zackary; 04-27-2017 at 11:06 AM..