View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pancake View Post
If you have to slow down it is best to slow in neutral. The trick is to throw it into neutral early enough that you will be down to the target speed at the right time.

For example: if you know the speed limit decreases ahead find the spot where you can coast in neutral from and reach the slower speed zone at the reduced speed limit. This way you are throwing away less of the energy that was used to get up to speed in the first place.

Neutral, DFCO, brakes {last resort }
If your vehicle is like my pickup, even when you put the trans in neutral while moving, the engine rpms do not drop below what they were with just the throttle lifted while in gear. --> due to the engine management system.
Even with that, I have seen pulse and glide work, just not as well as my wife's car, which goes into DFCO if you lift off the throttle at speeds above 60mph.
Based on what I have learned from driving the wife's car, I am ordering parts to fabricate for my truck a cockpit and/or throttle activated fuel cutoff. This may be of interest to the OP, if the vehicle is injected.