View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Merlyn2220
Deep Lurker

Creepy Van - '95 Ford E150 Cargo
90 day: 14.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoldmysaturn:( View Post
You can always make access holes to facilitate engine and transmission servicing. At least the front part of the exhaust is either shielded, covered by aluminum like the t-100, or cut out. Just remember to keep it all as light as possible. Incomplete aero mods create turbulence, which adds drag, it's an all or nothing type deal. This is why a lot of people mock up on cardboard to test.
I was planning on leaving the header side of the engine open, since it's at the front and on the passenger side (inline 6 engine). That will allow airflow around the headers, H-pipe connector, resonator and catalytic. Then from cat-back make an aluminum sheet similar to the T100's diamond plate setup. The stock catalytic is known for needing a separate air source (thus the ridiculous air pump setup). I'll have to research and see if the reason was to keep it cool(er), or to reduce the AFR that the catalytic sees.

The air going through the radiator has to go somewhere, so my initial plan is to leave the back side of the engine and tranny open to the bottom, with plates that smooth the airflow down around the body. The driver's side (no headers) is easy and already done. But I can guarantee that blocking off airflow around a hugely lossy C6 transmission is a bad idea. A C6 dissipates a LOT of heat, probably 10x as much as the T100 tranny. If I install a separate transmission cooler then I wouldn't be as concerned, but the stock setup is just a cooler built into the bottom of the radiator...and it's more of a fluid heater than it is a fluid cooler...