View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Fuel system treatment

Working at Valvoline, I have the perks of getting their products at cost and free labor, since I do the work myself That means $12 dollar oil changes for one

Another is access to their lineup of cleaning fluids, such as the 3 Step Fuel System Cleaner.

I did this in preparation for a 1200 mile roadtrip this past weekend (more on that in the next post). It consist of intake cleaner, their best injector cleaner and throttle body cleaner. I used the intake and injector cleaner, but couldn't use the throttle cleaner due to the bolt holding the intake pipe being seized up.

It took about 20 minutes and leaving work going up the usual hill, the car was more responsive than ever! It accelerated faster with less load and it did so with more timing than usual. I would typically see negative timing on this hill after a cold start with high loads, but this was not the case. I did not get to see inside the engine before nor after the treatment, but I assume that carbon and other build up was burnt off and less preignition happened, resulting in the knock sensor not pulling timing as much as before.

I wish I had more than anecdotal evidence and my senses and their reactions, but alas, I'm not very scientific under a time crunch

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr