View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #66 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Grabowski,
I mainly used the 255/85R16’s because I had them lying around left over from another project. I like the additional diameter of the 255s, but I have not yet found a tire tread pattern that I really like in that size. So unless a manufacturer decides to produce a less aggressive tire in 255/85R16 I will be using 235/85R16’s on the Suburban when these wear out. I have run several sets of 235/85R16 on my Tacoma, Michelin LTX M/S 2 and Cooper ATW.

Deejaa,
Thanks for the advice on the timing, I will give that a shot when I get it going. I would love to someday switch to the gear driven timing set to replace the chain, as I have heard that will allow you to advance the timing further due to less slop.

Over the weekend I only had a few hours here and there to work on the Suburban. I managed to get the flywheel dust cover on, after some significant modification to make it work with the 6.5L as it was designed for the 350 the NV4500 was previously mated to. I will probably replace it with a milled piece of aluminum in the future, but it should keep gravels at bay for now. I got the starter (and the important rear starter brace) bolted on and the clutch slave cylinder installed.

I used the Humvee 90 degree oil filter adapter in lieu of the stock adapter from the 94 as it positioned the filter a little further from the drivers exhaust manifold, and moved the filter over a bit to drip less directly on the front driveshaft. Also got the transfer case shifter lever reinstalled.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (05-08-2017), slowmover (05-13-2017)