View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
TexasElectric
EcoModding Lurker

Some other things i'm thinking about...

After reading a lot of different articles online about eBike speeds and watts, and watching a bunch of YouTube videos of people scientifically testing their eBikes I've decided I want to do the same. For example...

1. I've seen similar build eBikes use 400-450w to maintain 20mph. This would mean I could hypothetically get 61-68 miles on a full charge at an average speed of 20mph (assuming minimal wind and relatively flat roads). I am curious to know how many watts will be used at 25mph and 30mph (or even 35mph)? Plus I need to test watts used for pure electric vs pedal assist.

2. I plan to use the tires that came on the bike (29x2.1) knobby tires until they are bald. Once they are ready to be replaced, I am looking to replace them with a 700x35, 700x40, or 29x1.5 non-knobby tire. The idea being that I'd have less rotational mass and rolling resistance but still have good contact with the ground. Plus (in theory) a smaller/smoother tire should use less watts to maintain speed.

3. Lastly, I'm giving consideration to buying a few more LiFePo4 cells for 16s,7p for a total of 38.5 amp hours. The total weight of the battery with the addition of 2 additional cells in parallel would be 36lbs (compared to my current setup at 27lbs). If the addition of 2 more cells in parallel would allow me to ride at an average speed of 30mph (for my ride of 35 miles, one way), i'd consider it. But, i'll make this decision after doing a bunch of testing.