View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I test drove a base model Bolt yesterday. I think Chevy has a winner on their hands. Range and efficiency seem to be great. We left the dealer with 218 or 219 miles remaining and after a ~6.5 mile drive with AC and some quick acceleration (but otherwise eco-driving), it was still showing 218 remaining. As Neil said, the regen in L or with the paddle is strong. The salesman even had me try them out before leaving the parking lot because it's so unexpected. Not sure how I would drive it if I had one, probably a mix depending on the situation, like L for going down long hills. The acceleration is amazing and there's something wrong with you if it doesn't put a smile on your face. Not as good as a Tesla, but not bad for being half the price of a Model S or X.

It was difficult to leave without one. Issues were 1) Prius is paid off, just liability insurance, and pretty close to being fully depreciated. Would be really difficult to financially justify getting a more expensive car. 2) Payments on a $40k car (because we wouldn't be able to use much of the tax credit) just wouldn't fit in the budget right now. 3) I would want a little more than just the base model, like fast charging and at least the package that includes the heated seats and steering wheel (orange would be nice).

I'm hoping they depreciate like a rock, but I think the ~240 mile range will help protect them from that.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-09-2017), ME_Andy (05-09-2017), NeilBlanchard (05-10-2017)