View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
OilFilter
EcoModding Lurker

Best way to add regenerative braking to a Jeep?

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 that I am trying to both modernize and make as efficient as possible. It's never going to be a prius but I know it can get better MPG than what the factory built.

With that said, I'm converting most of the accessories to electric power - cooling fans, water pump, air conditioning, power steering. Basically I'm going to eliminate everything on the belt system. The "alternator" will be a bank of rechargeable batteries so as not to add extra load to that. I will plug it in to recharge when it's parked. I'm going to set it up so I can kill the engine and coast as much as possible, also during stops instead of idling.

I'd really, really love to have some kind of regenerative braking on this thing. The fewer batteries I can have, the better, obviously.

Does anybody have any good ideas as to where I can add some sort of generator that would be activated with the brakes? I could add one to the engine pulley and use it like compression braking, but, the engine will still be wasting some of the power if I do that. It would need to be in gear while coasting.

Is there a (relatively) easy way to add some kind of generator to the driveshaft? Something that would activate with the brakes and start generating power? It could go on either the front or rear driveshaft. Or maybe something that would attach to the transfer case? I know I've heard of hot rodders using an axle mounted alternator to clean up the engine bay, but I'm not sure how they attach it.

Just looking for some input before I try and re-invent the wheel.

Thanks for any info.