View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
OilFilter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Not all mods have to pay off or make any kind of financial sense though. Sometimes I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering.
Bingo! Part of this is I just like to play with it, and another part is I'm trying to make it more reliable. The engine bay in the Cherokee is quite cramped, and removing the belt system makes changing each of those parts much easier, and even allows me to have multiples installed as a backup just in case.

Quote:
I don't think regenerative braking is going to happen with bolt-ons, at least not in any meaningful way.
Well, if I attached an alternator to the driveshaft like posted above, I could generate 300 amps or more every time I hit the brakes. It also would increase the performance of the brakes, and make the brake pads last longer, not that those are very expensive. Heck, if I put an alternator on both axles, I could get 600 amps or more each time I hit the brakes!

Quote:
However, I'm under the impression that many automatic transmissions require the engine to be running for lubrication and cooling (? never owned an automatic) and that you run a very real risk of detonating it by coasting with the engine off.
I'll have to look into that, though I've been doing it a while now and haven't seen any problems. If I have to, I could add an electric oil pump to the transmission.