View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
OilFilter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I ran an electric cooling pump on my 5L Camaro ,suburban with a 454 and my 6.5L diesel.
I know pretty much all there is to know when it comes to electric cooling pump conversations.

As far as I could tell the electric pump gave no measurable fuel economy important. All it does is use more power and make an alternator delete more difficult.
The main benifit they give is being able to circulate coolant with the engine off.
Well, there's no question a water pump burns horsepower. I'm not sure how much, but even if it is only 2 or 3hp, it's easy to calculate exactly how much gas 2hp burns per hour and convert that to MPG at a given speed. Without an extensive dyno test, it's pretty hard to accurately see a 1-2mpg difference, there are just too many variables. If you don't delete the alternator or turn it off, then you are just moving the load from the water pump to the alternator.

But yes, I do want to use it to also preheat the engine, and cool the engine while it's off if it ever overheats. (Cherokees are notorious for overheating issues) I'd probably set it on a timer to continue running a minute or two after engine shut down, kind of like a turbo timer. This would prevent the heat soak that happens immediately after shut down.