View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 03:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
OilFilter
EcoModding Lurker

Well, I guess you're right, according to the manual the transfer case should be put into neutral for flat towing of a 4WD. For some reason it doesn't say anything about a 2WD with the same transmission. I also see with a cursory google search they sell both driveshaft disconnect kits and electric transmission pumps to solve this problem for RV users. Most of what I can find in google says not to tow with the transmission in neutral for "more than a few miles", but I can't coast more than that anyway.

I'll have to do a little more research on that part. I guess I could just put the transfer case in neutral instead of the transmission. I would really love the equivalent of a clutch pedal that would put it in neutral and let me coast, though the driveshaft disconnects aren't very cheap. Unfortunately I can't drive a manual transmission very well due to some problems I have with my legs, it makes it hard to use a normal clutch.

To be honest, I don't have a chance to coast in neutral very often, just a short hill by my house. Probably not worth the trouble. Engine off during stop/idle would probably save more fuel with the traffic around here...

Last edited by OilFilter; 05-11-2017 at 03:58 AM..