View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
mercguy1951
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Those mirrors appear to be the culprit of the noise.

On some Nissans this was also an issue, so they made the front signaling lights protrude outwards to deflect the air past the mirrors. Cool solution but the slightest bump and you have to replace the whole headlight assembly.
There is only one small mirror on the left outside of the car. The A pillar has a drip rail starting at the bottom of the pillar and extending the entire length of the roof. That drip rail causes a lot of turbulence at the A pillar. Pretty easy to check with a listening tube stuck in my ear (ha!). It is just as bad on the right side where there is no outside mirror.

In any case, air gets trapped at the bottom rear of the door glass on both sides and enters the inside of the door because the stock weather stripping does not provide a good seal. It is just the nature of this 70 year old design. I drive the car on long trips to Rod Runs out of state, and at 75 mph the wind noise becomes deafening! It may not be possible to fix this short of a clear teardrop capsule to slip over it! I bet I could get 30+ mpg if I could do that.