View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer600 View Post
Good thoughts and suggestions. I know illness and injury can happen any time, and always never at a convenient time.
That said, one of my favorite activities is backpacking. I like to go into the wilderness for 3-7 days at a time. So, I will be carrying my tent, sleeping bag Coleman stove (little one burner, not the two burner car camping one) and food. I carry a water purifier. I also have a one ounce White Box Stove. It's great, burns alcohol, and is light. Great for day hikes. But my Peak 1 Coleman backpacking stove will simmer, and one can fix better meals on it.
I will check into the Airstreams more, and also the shorter RV's. I like the Chinook brand -- strong and quiet. But they are not always set up the way I like. We are all picky, I suppose.
I also carry those things in my combined rig. Plus, roughly more of the same as I'm on the road for work in an entirely different vehicle.

A motorhome isn't what I'd suggest unless one is always with a group
of people. And if the subject of towing a car comes up, one has effectively driven down a dead end street. No efficiency advantage in any role but perceived comfort. Lousy as hell to drive.

My combined rig is long. Others needn't be. Maneuverability isn't difficult.

Hiking and backpack trips are in no way precluded. In fact they're enhanced by having the larder at hand at beginning and end. Independence from fixed facilities is huge. I got those trips out of my system a long time ago. No more 110-lb backpacks into the far reaches of Big Bend, thank you. Same for humping quartered game back out to a trailhead. Mules are the thing, then.

There are no bonus points for having a Subaru with a Thule roof rack. Indeed, it's the opposite. A better chosen vehicle (as commuter and as vacationer) that will serve solo and towing duties, is the best approach.

Pull up Andrew Thomsons Can Am RV Centre site and the Towing Expertise page.

I've seen some VW Touaregs + Airstream rigs that are handsome, practical (above 20-mpg towing) and satisfactory to the owner in both roles. Their are many vehicles that could be chosen. A Honda Odyssey minivan is another (just lower mpg).

As before, tool defines use. Not otherwise. Greatest adaptability is best parameter set.