View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #191 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Turtle

I wound up ordering another "better" BMS, after looking up the specs for the one I had. While it is supposed to be for LiFePO4 cells and all, I did not like the voltage cutoff being 0.1v (per cell) higher than the better one.

So, seeing as it has the LEDs indicators on it, I feel more confident in placing the cells in place of the gas tank, and have ordered more/longer leads to allow the BMS to reside in the spare tire well, where I will probably also mount at least one of the chargers.

I was sold on the idea, until I looked at my photos of where I was planning on placing them under the hood. I'm on the fence again.

If I put them in place of the gas tank, I can't visually check the cells. This concerns me.

If I put them right up front, they're going to get smoked if I have even a small fender-bender. This concerns me. Probably more.

There's minimal difference to how the cells get laid out, so I can still continue with the wiring, even if I haven't completely made up my mind.

Progress? What's that?

I put the first pack back in and re-connected the wiring, so she works again:

I have plenty of little(reasonable, individually) tasks to do, besides the big task regarding the other battery pack. Vacuum pump and reservoir to go in. Rear wheel bearing to replace (since I "borrowed" the good hub/drum to get my other firefly back on the road). Chargers to go in, eventually. Synchromesh for the transmission. Not a lot, really.

I'll start plugging away on these.

To help motivate me, I got a good deal on Monday. I had offered the guy 1/3rd less(my normal money-saving tactic) than his asking price a month back, and left it at that. Assumed that was the end of it when I didn't hear back from him for a while. Got an email Sunday night, and I just happened to be traveling up-island Monday, so I picked them up on the way:

They're 14's, vs the stock steel 13s.

I like 5-spoke "star" wheels. They come across as "sporty" to me. Any more or less...doesn't.

They also happened to come with just the size tires I was hoping for (185/65), with about 50% left to the wear-bars, so I'm not out another couple hundred bucks finding tires and getting them mounted.

155s vs 185s:

Yes, the tread actually is 30mm wider. I expect they'll make the Firefly stick to the road a lot better around the corners.

They're 5lbs heavier each. And like the additional width causing additional rolling resistance, well...I'm willing to put up with the slight range loss for a nice set of wheels that makes the car more appealing to look at and drive.

And bonus! They're dual bolt pattern, 4x114.3 & 4x100, so they'll fit most small cars. And I like small cars, so they can follow me if I get tired of the Firefly. (They'll fit my Miata, and even have the OE sized tires on them)

Hopefully they will succeed in encouraging me to get on with things.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-25-2017)