View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for that link Sendler.

I'm hoping to see you, and the other guys/gals on the 8th. I'm going to try and make it work, but it's not going to be a relaxing trip like I'd hoped. I'll ask Kraig if my plan to show up on the 8th or report after 10 pm on the 7th would be okay and still ride with the group.

Seems very organized plan(s) compared to when I went in 2014 when we sort of decided on a route the morning of the ride, but doesn't matter all that much; I'll just follow the leader(s) wherever they want to go. The wife and I are hatching a plan to drive up and arrive late on the 7th (about 10 PM local), which is about one hour after our usual bed times. We'll be ready to ride at 7 am the next morning, but am worried about registration, etc., as I can't be there any earlier due to a prior engagement.

Two questions I'll ask Kraig, but would like your opinion and/or others on this forum that are involved in this events:

Do you know of a way to reach out to riders/commuters of fuel-thrifty stock bike owners; e.g. Honda 250, 300, 500, 700, BMW 650, 800 Burgman 400, 650 to show up and ride on that morning? The only way I can think of to reach out is to either join their forums and post an announcement with a link as sort of a lurker, or ask the administrators of those forums to post it for me.

I'll ask Kraig this as well, but do you think asking stock-bike riders/owners to come and join the ride is appropriate for a ride that is focused more on modified vehicles and ecomodded vehicles with super-high mpg? In other words, if my efforts to get some stock bike riders at the event hypothetically turn out to be highly successful, which I don't expect, but lets say it works better than I expect and twenty riders with stock bikes show up; would that be something Kraig and the other organizers can handle or want?

I have only a pickup truck and a ramp and tie downs for it (wife won't let me ride up, as I crashed on the way home in Columbus last time and I can't blame her for disallowing a ride). We're considering getting a towing ball and rent, borrow, or buy a small trailer, but if that's out of our budget, do you think I'd be able to get help rolling my bike on and off my truck bed if I can't find sort of a make-shift dock area where I can handle this myself?