View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
Just curious on the whole thinner oil subject. I k ow this seems to be more focused on the green or next oil, but if a vehicle is driven ecomodder style wouldn't it be assumed we could go with a thinner oil. I have the 1.4l turbo Cruze. I want to switch to 0w20 since my car is typical to only do short trips so cold start efficiency is a must. But I drive so lightly that I feel I could go thin regardless. Could it be detrimental to my turbo even though I rarely enter any boost.50 mpg+ typically on 13 miles commute. Just looking for a little input. Thanks
Put the highest quality oil of the manufacturers recommendation in. I would never, ever run thinner than manufacturer recommend oil on a turbo motor. What you could do is drop the w weight, but the warm viscosity I wouldn't mess with.

Example, on my Miata manufacturers recommendation is 5w-30, I went to shell Rotella T-6 which is 0w40. W rating is ok to drop a tier or two, just be conscious at cold startups not to rev to much, but the warm viscosity I would never ever go down, only up 1 tier.