View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
ecocruze
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
FoMoCo retroactively approved 5w-20 for many of it's older vehicles that originally specified 5w-30. Just a few days ago I changed the 'Racer over to 5w-20. All indications so far are OK.
I think it's just hard for me to grasp that these full size trucks are running 5w20 while a little baby 1.4 needs 5w30? Makes no sense to me. Im all for thicker oil for higher demand/load but my putting around Cruze that does zero towing. Maybe a bag or 2 of Crete in the trunk every once in a blue moon. The little pop can turbo really generates that much heat even when providing virtually zero boost. I typically accelerate between 0 and 12 vaccum... typically closer to the 12. I touch boost of 1-2 going on one uphill stretch momentarily on my daily commute. Race cars heavy pulling trucks are going thinner I don't make sense of it. My old jeep I put a gallon of Lucas in it cuz it burned oil so bad. Didn't need to add oil between 3500 mile oil changes anymore, but that's a vehicle with over 250k hard miles. Sorry for the rant. Fyi wife's expedition has the twin turbo v6 which is what really got me intrigued by oil viscosity for turbo engines. Twin turbo makes a little more sense seeing as they aren't miniature.