View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for the info. Sendler. The grassy hill will make it easy. Seems like I remember it but rode up last time. I'll be getting there late and getting up early for the ride, and I'll have to get my bike off at daybreak or just after, so knowing where I can get it off easily and quickly really eases my mind. Got a reservation at a Bed and Breakfast at just about a mile away from the hotel, so at least I won't have to ride in from Mansfield like I did last time early in the morning after a long ride the day before.

In 2014 there were about four stock bike riders with small and medium displacement bikes that seemed to be serious about doing as well, but we weren't there to try and cheat the system or not ride like we were supposed to ride. Do you think that could be an issue? Have you seen it before?

I don't like to think of myself on one of these rides as sort of a "control". I'm there to compete (even if it's not official due to the bag rule); I'll be there to meet and have fun, but not as a "control" rider. In 2014, I came within a couple of mpg of besting Craig's streamlined Helix, which had a huge drag advantage and displacement advantage over me and my bike. My bike was near pure stock, and I did everything by the rules except for the 4-bag rule, but I did have plenty of luggage space on my bike on the order of 55 liters or so, and I feel like that's plenty of luggage for a bike and so I'm not going to try to put a big Rubbermaid tote or something that's not going to be what I'd use back home. Right now, I use a big milk crate. Go grocery shopping and commute and have all the space I need on my bike to carry stuff, so that's all I'm going to do.

Thanks again.

Greg