View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Except for the interstate most of us travel at 55 mph or the posted limit. Interstate travel is posted at 65 or 70 mph in most states. Just because some folks think highways are race tracks doesn't mean we have to follow suit. Yes, I understand the 80% rule of traffic and if things are too hairy I select an alternate route. I just had a conversation with a young man who is slowly recovering from a 130 mph motorcycle crash in Florida. With any group ride safety is paramount.
The record of 472 mpg was set at Laguna Seca by a Japanese rider in a full shell 125cc Honda. Actual riding conditions will vary so it is important to qualify city cycles and highway speed to understand the efficiency of the rider/ bike combination.
I agree. First thing to do if you want better mileage is to slow down. With almost any vehicle, peak mileage is at a speed of about 45 MPH.

I lived in the Chicago area for many years, and the posted limit was in no way the actual speed of the traffic. You absolutely need to add 10-15 MPH or more in order to keep up. Survival was the main concern, economy not so much.

I've questioned the need for the higher speeds on a "Fuel Economy Challenge", but if the course is in an area that has high speed traffic flow you are definitely safer "going with the flow".