View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Auptimist
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, and I'm excited to prove your points with data

My design priorities:
1. Cd reduction weighed against cost
2. Legality and safety - including visibility
3. Ease of access
4. Aesthetic!
5. Manufacturing difficulty
6. Storage volume when closed up (currently I have a roll-up tonneau and it's been fine - rarely do loads go much higher than the bed walls)
11. Lift

Lift can't get any worse with the addition of a cap than it already is, and it's not a problem as-is

Another reason I want to run simulations is that the rear bezel of the cab already slopes down, (and is >$100 to replace if I screw it up) and has a really nice slot underneath it where I could tape/compress-into-foam the curved edge of the polycarb up under it (since it's a unibody I don't have to worry much about bed flexure, so it should be able to actually touch there). I want concrete data on how much worse that would be for Cd. I'd hypothesize it would let me get away with the straight profile I posted, since it should create a little vortex right behind the bezel and hopefully attach it right onto the topper, effectively simulating the convex profile. Same for the sides, there's a nice lip that seems pupose-built for this. I could be terribly wrong, but I'll find out before construction. If it works, it would mean my top brake light wouldn't be under tinted polycarb so I don't get pulled over by a bored/curious cop, I might not have to bake the hatch sheet into a compound curve, and I can have a simple triangular frame with attachment points all along. Very hopeful haha

Last edited by Auptimist; 06-04-2017 at 06:40 PM..