View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
arctic
EcoModding Lurker

Battery Charger in My Car

Hello,all
First of all, thanks very much for reading my post.I want to make a car battery charge after I saw an article introducing something about it. Well, I would like to ask some help.

As the essay showing, This car battery charger circuit can be used to charge 12V and 6V batteries. If it is used a transformer that can deliver 4A to 5A at a voltage between 12.6V and 16V then we can get rid of the switch for 6V or 12V batteries. The schamatic is given below.

It aslo gave some maintenance tip about car battery.
The car battery charging current is automatically limited to 4.2A. If there is a 600mV voltage on R1 (4A thru it), then the T1 transistor starts to conduct. Excessive charging current is avoided because the current value on T3’s base is limited. The difference between applied load current (at T4’s collector) and real voltage of the battery is balanced thru T4’s collector-emitter junction.
The datasheet of 2N3055
The power input of 2N3055 is the product of load current and voltage difference already mentioned. When charging 6V car battery this power reaches a maximum of 40W. The rectifier diodes must be able to deliver 4A at 40V. T4 2N3055 must be mounted on a good heatsink in order to dissipate the heat.
However, I can’t understand what byx21-40 is?
1) Is it like a diode rectifier ??
2).and what is 21-40 means like between 21-40 or just it’s datasheet code (because i hardly found it on google)
3).and if it’s being sold just as it is and what if I didn’t find it in the market ?

Sorry for all the questions but I’m a mechanical engineer and electronics is a hobby for me so I’m not professional.
Thank you again,
Best regards,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.7.1.gif
Views:	851
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	21928