View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
I'd been like wondering what I should do with this car. On the one hand I feel like it is way too good for me, I mean its in great condition. On the other hand, this is like my dream car, it's a red G1 that's in really good shape.

The previous owner sent me an e-mail though, telling me how her goal had been to push the LMPG above 90 miles per gallon. She said she had almost made it, 89.8, but then the place she lived in started putting ethanol in the gas in 2008, and she couldn't quite put it over the top.

I don't know that it will be possible for me to get to 90. I've never had a tank that high. In my Silver G1 my best was 78. My commute is terrible for fuel economy because of all the hills, and everyone drives too fast. I'm still on my first tank and the FCD is reading 68.8 despite my best efforts, which means its probably more like 65 or so.

There are some maintenance issues that I think will help once I take care of them.
- Oil Change (IDK what the current oil is like, it's best to change it soon after buying a car)
- Transmission fluid
- New indexed spark plugs
- Probably needs new coolant
- EGR cleaning (although I'm sure it's fine)

But are these going to get me 90? Hah probably not. I think I'll have to do aero and maybe some other stuff.

There are two panels missing underneath the front, so I'll get one of those aluminum pans that Scott at Insight Central sells. I can also make one of my coroplast panels for the back. But maybe I should just do a full panel all the way from the front to the back like Ecky has done.

Top side, I removed the antenna, but not the antenna mount. I'll probably get those black ones that Ecky has. I should also remove the rear wiper + motor.

I'm averse to removing the mirrors even though I know it would help a ton.

That means my other two options are going to be boat tail and front grill blocks. But honestly I'll probably start with the simpler stuff first of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-06-2019)