View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

I don't think we have to worry at all about 40 or more bikes. I'm just pushing for a few and expect less than that. Maybe one or two more besides the two CBR guys and a few more that would have shown up anyway before I started promoting it. I wish I could bring in about ten different models and such, but I've had only two positive responses, and only one that I know of is going to try and make it.

I know its not required to pre register, but Kraig wants to put more names on his participation list over on his website, or at least I think he does. He encouraged me to send him photos and asked if he could publish my name.

The way I do fillups is to get it as full as I can each time within reason, and I have very consistent results except that one tank on the mid-Ohio run in 2014 where I beat my best ever by 14 mpg. But since the tank before and the tank after that great run were right at what I would have expected (mid 70s), I don't see how my score in 2014 could have been anything but valid. There was a mechanical issue with my windshield that occurred immediately before the ride started where the mount holders broke and it dropped down, and maybe that, combined with my tucking, combined with the big Dewalt box may have given me great mpg. I guess we'll find out this year if that accidental setup had anything to do with my great score. I'm shooting for 88. Anyone can watch my fillups, but I don't have any kind of precise method for filling. For me its mostly art.

I know that truly topping off can be a problem with gas-power and those evap systems, but I've not had any problem. I just ease the level up to the tippy top four times at the same approximate velocity, and I get very consistent results. I like as much range as possible, and that's why I do it this way.

When the air turns cold or my chain gets very loose, my mpg will drop, but other than that, when I'm on a long ride, I get mid 80s in warm weather if it's not windy. When I commute, I get upper 70s. This late Spring, my mpg did not rise back up as much as it normally does for warm weather. I looked at the chain and it had nearly no tension. The tank I'm on now, after taking the slack out, is putting me back up to upper 70s. I saw this happen one other time; had three or four tanks that dropped 5-6 mpg; and then noticed slack in the chain. Fixed it, and I was back to normal. If it gets below freezing, I'll lose ten mpg or more. But luckily, this ride is in July, although the early morning start worries me some, because my bike will use more fuel at even 65 degrees compared to 85 degrees air temperature.