View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #119 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

The use of tools is what separates humanity from the rest of the creatures about us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Good, lets agree the tool-waving contest is pointless.

On the Sun, though, I'm not so sure. Is it gas or metal? Why do astrophysicists accept magnetism but reject electric currents?
This is not a pointless point.

Because I can use my tools ( science and technology ) I can manipulate my environment. Humans are now able to change the whole of the planet in measurable ways. It means responsibility is needed.

The technology we are using to communicate on this forum ( internet ) is a powerful one that allows us to exchange ideas over a wide range. One has to be careful because the ease of information exchange results in a large amount of the information being bogus unlike the vetting process that naturally occurred during the print years. However, the speed and immediacy of idea exchange is powerful. It allows us to move and shape ideas with far more rapidity than in times past. Now we just have to take ideas and turn it into action. That action may take time. Lots of time, as evidenced by this discussion on climate change. The internet age needs to be run in parallel with the simpler age of the hand-worker where patience was a virtue.

Global warming will need the tools of a modern age with the patience of the flintknapper.