View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jenn348
The MPG Mom

Anybody else with an A5 (2012+) Beetle?

I have a 2017 Beetle, and I'm planning the future mods for this car, looking for ideas beyond careful driving, inflating up, etc. I'm looking for subtle things that help, so no boat tails, etc LOL

Looking first at aero mods. Air dam and side skirts seems obvious, but I'm not sure if the A5 would benefit from a roof spoiler the way the classic Beetle or 98-10 New Beetle would. It has the stock turbo spoiler, and from what I'm reading it does actually help aero. Also considering fender vents to clean up those small vacuum areas.

With the intercooler and what not, I'm not sure grille blocking is very safe, but I'm looking into that.

Next, I'm looking into setting up a system where the alternator is electrically disabled until it hits a certain voltage. I'd add flexible solar panels to keep above that voltage as much as possible, but still have an alternator that can keep it going at night and under heavier electrical loads. I'm not quite sure what voltage to cut off at and what to use to accomplish that.

Also wondering if it would be worth it to open up the exhaust and intake.

Hopefully somebody else will have worked with one of these cars, but if not I'll have to blaze a trail

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenn348 For This Useful Post:
123gts (06-23-2017), SH@UN (06-13-2017)