View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Vehicle choices and the mods we do need to fit our needs and it's not a one size fits all. My needs are much different than someone else's. That said, some options are more economical than others and some mods more worthwhile.
When I bought my Rondo, we were a one car family and we were often making long trips on short notice. I bought the car with the best mileage rating I could find that would still fit everything I needed. I bought it new which, looking back was unwise, but I've driven it for almost 10 years with almost nothing but maintenance. That will eventually change and I know it will never be as cheap overall as my old junkers, but it is far more economical than a truck or SUV. I also have to allow some value to being able to just get in and go without taking my tool box and wondering the whole way if it was going to make it. My mods didn't cost much and I believe have saved me money. OTOH, If I'd spent 10 grand more to buy a Hybrid, I'd be behind even more.
I agree that that the all in costs have to be factored in and buying an expensive car just to save gas is never going to pay. But, while most if us here are tinkerers, for someone who can't fix their own car, a newer car may be justified.
I bought my Echo for a city commuter because it is not only very economical, but it can carry four adults comfortably and has a huge trunk for its size. My mods have paid for themselves quickly (most were free) and I'm not only beating combined EPA in city driving with 3-4 adults in the car, I'm using it as my family car most of the time as well. It uses way less gas than the Rondo in town. If I had a lot of highway driving, my choices might be different, but do what fits. I used to dream of building a hot rod when I was young. As slowmover said, ecomodding is sort of niche hotrodding, except we can actually save more that we spend and have fun doing it.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
The Following User Says Thank You to puddleglum For This Useful Post:
slowmover (07-16-2017)