View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Fish seems to be more "sustainable" than beef, chicken or pork due to its higher organic matter-to-protein conversion ratio, plus the water from the tanks where species such as catfish and tilapia are grown can be re-used for irrigation and decrease the amount of chemical fertilizers required. Anyway, those veganazis can't count on me to quit eating beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Cows belch methane, a greenhouse gas.
Though it's unavoidable, methane emission from cattle raising can be decreased when they're fed a lower amount of carbohydrates. And since most of those carbohydrates can be turned into ethanol, it sounds like a good deal.

Quote:
Soy contains an estrogen mimic. And probably is a GMO.
Even though it's actually quite hard due to the widespread usage of soy-based substracts in the food industry, I try to avoid soy as much as I can when I cook at home. I don't really get into the anti-GMO bandwagon, my only concern is the transmission of the "terminator" gene to non-transgenic crops due to cross-polinization which becomes a problem for farmers who prefer to use what's known in my state as "creole seeds". My opposition to soy is basically due to the estrogen content.