View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Arrow Feasability of an Electric Insight

I'm thinking that in about 2 months I will have my new Insight at like 90% regarding ecomods and stuff done to it, so I'll need a new project to work on.

If I get like a beater Insight that's in terrible shape maybe even a blown head or bent valves or something, would it be possible to turn it into an EV?

I could source parts from a forklift, but the thing I am most afraid of is sorting out the drivetrain. Supposing I pull the ICE, the original electric motor is way too small, I'll have to replace it too with a forklift motor. Is it feasible to leave the original manual transmisssion in, take off the IMA and ICE, fabricate a face plate to cover the transmission, construct mounts for a new motor, then have the new motor drive the input shaft?

Batteries could be stored in the trunk in the spare wheel well or above the spare wheel, and in the IMA battery compartment since the IMA battery would be removed. I could probably use the stock high voltage lines between the front and back of the car.

There'd also be the issue of instrumentation. There's a guy over on Insight Central developing a board that you can plug into the factory instrument cluster, it could be used to display battery voltage at least, and since I'd potentially be keeping the original VSS on the transmission the speed should show properly. In this car the VSS has a direct line to the instrument cluster. Or might just be easier to skip all that at first and mount the forklift's (usually incredibly simple) gauges or whatever (depends on the model) inside the car somewhere.

Regenerative braking might not be an option, so I might have to beef up the original brakes for safety. Or just drive slow lol.

I think the main advantages of using one of these cars for an EV conversion are they're very cheap, light, and aerodynamic. Homemade EVs usually have poor range, and I wouldn't be able to use it for much if I couldn't do atleast 50 miles in it. But maybe I could sell it to someone else who lived in town and didn't need to drive as much if I just couldn't get the range out if it that I needed.

Has anyone else converted one of these before? And am I in way over my head if I do this?